Wednesday, September 21, 2011

DC-- here I come!

Over the weekend I was presented with a pretty exciting opportunity. 
I have never done any type of lobbying, advocating, or well- anything in DC (or well anywhere for that matter) 
Our DS (if you are methodist you know- the big guy in your district) suggested that I go with his wife to advocate for global health funding in DC. I will represent our district at a conference in DC and then go to Capitol Hill to chat with folks there. I have no idea what this means-- but I know that I am passionate about global health- and here is an amazing opportunity to do something BIG. 
I am hoping this will open doors for future opportunities to share the need of healthcare all over the world. 

Now- don't get me wrong. I know we need some drastic changes to OUR healthcare here in America. I have done a lot of studying on the mess that is "our healthcare" but here is the deal. 
we HAVE healthcare.
it may cost a fortune. 
you may go bankrupt. 
(none of those i support)
but we have it. 

people are dying- DYING- daily all around the world from curable, preventable diseases. they simply do NOT have the healthcare. the education. the option to stay healthy. 
I want to fight for those people. 
I want to educate people in our country. 
I want to encourage people to support organizations that help the sick, the dying, and the homeless.

so here is my opportunity. 
a trip to DC to learn more about what the UMC is doing for global health. 
what I can do for global health. 
and then off to capitol to do a little something. 

it will be an interesting and amazing experience... i hope. 
don't you worry. i'll keep you posted. 
i go in TWO weeks!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment