Wednesday, July 18, 2012

reflecting back on the old j-o-b.


as you all know im sure- in my "previous career" i was an ER nurse. 
and by previous career i mean the one i did for a few years before starting grad school.
working in the ER was the most challenging thing I have ever done. [really]
it was also the most rewarding. 

when i started working in the ER i was told- i was too nice to be an ER nurse. 
I proved that guy wrong. :) i learned to be tough when needed (which is quite often). 
it was very hard from the first day until the last. 

not only did i take away a lifetime of memories, knowledge and experience---
i took away two incredible friends. 
thinking back i don't really remember the three of us seeking each other out to be buds- but it just happened. we are very similar- and half of our coworkers thought we were the same person. 
really. 
but throughout our time working together we grew a bond that I don't have with other friends. 
our friendship is so different and deep and turned into a dear treasured friendship.

my most vivid memories with these girls include saving a guys life- seriously. he was a 'stemi' (heart attack) and we got him in and down to the cath lab super quick.
and then working a code- just the three of us (with a doc) and being together when the patient didn't make it. 
there are also lots of fun goofy moments. silly times. and being in situations that other friends just don't experience together. picture: naked people. puke. pee. the list goes on & on.

the reason im thinking all these things probably has to do with the show new york med. 
it really does show ER nurses how they really are. 
laughing with patients. dealing with the agressive patients. getting yelled at. yelling at others. 
its a great show.
and really has me thinking back & missing my 2 years running through the halls of the ER. 

it was a hard job- but one that has made me a much stronger nurse and person. 
it also gave me two incredible friends- that i couldn't be more thankful for. 
they've seen me cry. made me laugh. picked me up when disheartened. encouraged me through school. (heck encouraged me/pushed me to apply to school to begin with). 
they are great girls. 
thankful for them. and for the experience of working in an ER. 
even if i did cry, whine, complain and 'hate' my job sometimes, in the end it was the best experience of my life! 







0 comments:

Post a Comment